The Summer of Love


I was sixteen when the summer of love took place, and I didn`t really know it was the summer of love until I heard about it sometime during the autumn. Story of my life!

But was it really a summer of love, anyway? In the `canyon` of Los Angeles, it probably was – lots of flowers in the hair, and marijuana, and  promiscuity – but as I remember it, the hype was one thing and the reality another.

I did believe, though, that my generation had a liberated view of love and sex which my parents` generation – poor people – had missed out on as they worked their way through post-war austerity towards creating, unintentionally, the permissive society in which their sons and daughter were so eager to take their part.

I once read a letter to a newspaper, which said: I get sick of hearing of these young hippies who think they invented sex in 1969. Please tell them that it was in fact me who invented sex in 1937.

Point taken!

Have the rituals of sex and courtship changed that much, over the years? I wonder how much.

When I, a sixteen year old, eagerly awaited my turn to be launched into the permissive society of free love and promiscuity – bring it on! – I fondly imagined that sex-before-marriage was a new concept!

How wrong was thatI!

Of course, the rules of the game were probably a bit different. The thing about sex is that it was really discovered, as we all know, in the Garden of Eden, and the trouble with that discovery is that, again as we all know, it led to trouble. And if you define the trouble, you define the rules of the game.

In the 1950s, a girl`s worst imagined trouble was getting pregnant, outside wedlock, to a man who had no intention of getting thus-locked. No man would want to marry a girl who was bringing up another man`s child, or even – and this is maybe important – marrying a girl who had lost her virginity to someone else. It was very convenient to men, I guess, that they didn`t have a virginity to lose. A cherry, maybe – but that was just a rite of passage!

If you travelled by bus in the 1950s and 1960s, as most people did, the other trouble with sex, advertised in little public service rectangles, at eye level if you were standing, was the trouble of venereal disease. The dreaded V.D.

My parents` generation still talked of `courting`. “Are you courting yet, young man?” We talked of `going out with…` which seemed more modern but which I suppose is a bit like `walking out with…` which again is quaint and old-fashioned.

But the progress towards intimacy was governed by a complex set of rules and conventions: as well as the dangers of pregnancy and VD, there was also the background morality where sex and sinfulness often lurked together; and there was, particularly for a girl, the fear of loss of reputation and respect.

But despite the rules and prohibitions, most people – if the people I knew were typical – managed to go quite a distance down the path long before they got anywhere near to thinking of getting married.

When the pill came along, it promised to bring with it the sexual revolution, and maybe it did, because if you take away the dangers you change other bits of the equation, too. Though in less than a generation, the snake in the lovely garden had reared its ugly head with the name of H.I.V., and the rules had to change again.

If we are to believe things we hear, courtship rituals are now conducted through the social media, with web-cams and electronic dialogue available 24/7.  No need to rush to catch the half-past nine bus so that she can get home when her dad told her. You can see its attractions. Though given the choice, I think I`d still go for walking along, hand-in-hand, on a rainy night, trying to find somewhere to sit, somewhere affording a little bit of privacy…
 
 

 
 
John Wheatley`s novel MARCIA a story of love in the fifties and sixties, is available on KINDLE.B00C1426Z0  aand as a paperback from Amazon
 

 

Comments

Popular Posts